Tuesday, May 11, 2010

High School Angst

So I was digging through a box of old school stuff, and I found this old poem I wrote my senior year for a poetry slam in English class. I have to share this with the world since it is so not who I am anymore.

I sit in my room Dark and Cold
With the stereo blasting and the door locked
I close my eyes and think of the world
Of the poor lonely insignificant people
Who put others down to make themselves feel better
The ones who say they’re happy
But they go home at night and cry
The ones who say they’ve seen the world
But the furthest they’ve gotten in Atlantic City
Where they go and throw their money away
On Keno and games of  High Low Poker with stacked decks
But that’s what the world is
A deck of cards stacked against you
No one can win
And everyone loses
Come one come all
To the biggest game that can never be won
But that wouldn’t be any fun
We feed on the pain and hurt of the world
We love the suffering and the hate of Society
That’s what my music tells me
“Let the bodies hit the floor”
Because this is a world where we are all born losers
Condemned to a life of hatred and terrorism
I guess we’re just lucky like that
A place like this is what kids dreams are made of
Bubblegum Sugarplums and School Shootings
It’s everywhere
The hate and ignorance of society is what keeps us in chains
We live day to day trying to survive
Asking ourselves is this the day we die
Is this the end?
Did we remember to kiss our Mommy and Daddy goodbye
Tell them we love them?
But we’re too young to die
So we deal with what is going on in the world
And we can’t make a change
We’re too young
We don’t know
We didn’t go to Nam
Or have to walk fifteen miles to school
In the snow
Barefoot
Uphill
BOTHWAYS
But no, we don’t know
We don’t see how we will ever win
We don’t thing that we will ever win
And we’re right
So underestimated and do under appreciated
We watch this everyday
And I see the shallow
The superficial
Them with their Prada bags
Their Gucci dresses
Giorgio Armani suits
Their 6 carat pink diamond
On a white gold band from Tiffany Co.
And it makes me sick
In this world where there is terror and hunger everywhere
They still treasure their 400 dollar purse
So I turn my music up louder
And close my eyes tighter
And slip from this world
To a place where I can be me

Ok, so if you know me, you know that I am the Tiffany ring Prada purse toting girl, now. It makes me smile when I think about it.

1 comment: